Introducing Product Board: A Project Management Platform
Auth0 Hackathon Submission
👋🏻 Hello readers,
Presenting ProductBoard, Our submission for Auth0 Hackathon. This time I have worked with Masoom Kumar | @shuntzhere, improving on and learning new things as the project progressed. Where I took care of the Backend, we together built the Frontend part. Finally, happy to share this with all. A huge thanks to Hashnode for holding these Hackathons.
The problem of plenty. Most applications target big teams and end up giving multiple features for simple tasks. So, for individuals, it's often tough to manage and direct an effective workflow.
The market to keep you productive using different applications is a big one. And by far, We've struggled to keep up with so many applications. Thus, ProductBoard. We are here to manage your productivity hassle-free. And also cater to your needs, be it a small team or working alone. We have got you covered. Now, it is straightforward and maintainable.
- Live Markdown Editor
- CRUD Tasks and Projects
Task Detail Page
- Advanced Project History / Task History
- Kanban Boards
- Team Management
Add Member (only admin allowed)
- Realtime Notifications
- Role-Based Access.
- Advanced Filters
Product Board Demo 💣
🛠 Tech Stack
- Frontend: React
- Backend: Node
- Database: MongoDB
- Real-time Experience: Socket.IO
- Authorization and Authentication: Auth0
⚒ What did I use to build this? 🛠
Lots of Open Source Help.
- Material UI Components & Headless UI
- Icons: Material UI Icons and React Icons
- CSS Framework:
- Form Handling:
Auth0: Authorization and Authentication
react-beautiful-dnd: Drag and Drop Support
axios: API Requests
rich-markdown-editor: Live Markdown Editor
morgan: Development Logs
dotenv: Reading Environment Variables
express: Node.js Framework
express-jwt: Handling Authorization and Authentication with Auth0
socket.io: Handle Real-time Connections
cors: Handle cross-origin request
mongoose: MongoDB ODM
dotenv: Manage Environment Variables
🦾 Building Product Board.
- Boiler Plate [Node, React]
- Setup: Eslint, Prettier
- MongoDB Data Modeling
- Setting up Middlewares
- Added CORS.
- Routes Structure
- Defining Controllers
- Handling Socket Events
- Did the above steps multiple times.
- Client-Side Routing
- Components, Redux Store, API endpoints, and Integrations.
- State Handling
- Finishing Touch -: Landing Page
- Frontend: Vercel
- Backend: Heroku
🎁 Key Takeaways.
- Started Learning Typescript.
- Implementing Socket.IO
- Deploying Node.js API's on Heroku
- DB Modeling MongoDB
- Managing the DB Model for History was not going to be easy. Keeping track of history required lots of models to be grouped. It took a while to end up with a working solution.
🔮 Future Scope
- Implement Infinite Scroll (Tasks and History).
- Add More Socket Events.
- Introduce more roles for members.
- Sort, Filter, Pagination Implementation in Backend.
- Custom Workflow for Board
- Reminders (Email)
- Comments on Tasks
While I primarily made it to manage projects but it can definitely be used for many other management and collaboration purposes.